Deworming and vaccination of pigs and treatment of/docking of tails.

I have a few questions, could you advise me on what age to start a deworming and vaccination programme for pigs and what parasites are commonly found on South African farms?

I am hand rearing a piglet after the sow partially dried up. He is very small, but very lively. I have been feeding him a piglet milk formula and have started to alternate between giving him a bottle and giving a bowl of formula mixed with baby rice cereal. He is now 16 days old and has been picking up weight, but I don't know how much he should be putting on and am thinking that he probably has worms. We have Dectomax, which is a long-acting injectable broad-spectrum parasiticide, but the dose begins at 1ml for 33kg, and he only weighs 1.7kgs. We phoned a local vet, but have only just moved here, so we don't have a regular one yet, and he says to begin de-worming at 3 months, which does not sound right to me. I would like to put him with a recently delivered litter from another sow, but I'm concerned that being so small he may be crushed. He has also managed to damage his tail, I think by squeezing behind the panel heater which I put in the bathroom,(we don't have a nursery yet) I am treating it with a veterinary iodine spray and have given him a Terramycin 100 injection, but today it started to bleed, this is another reason why I am concerned about putting him in with the litter. He doesnt seem to feel it when I squeeze his tail, I have heard that pigs don't have any feeling in their tails? Would it be better to remove the tail? Many Thanks Christine de Beer

Outside United States

Initial deworming at 2-3 months of age (Ascaris roundworm is primary internal parasite.)
Initial vaccinating at 2-3 months of age
Tail and needle teeth clipping at 1-4 days of age (Injured non-clipped tails are clipped.)

HI

you didn't mention which vaccinations the piglet will need and at what time period?

Many Thanks

Chris de Beer

General vaccinations include leptospirosis and erysipelas killed vaccines/bacterins, beginning at 2-3 months of age; repeating in 3-8 weeks; repeating annually with single doses. Additional vaccinations are related to risks of exposures. Local veterinarians must advise