Amaryllis seed pod

My amaryllis produced a seed pod after the flowers died. It has burst open and has dark brown flakes. Are those seeds? Can I plant them to try to create a bulb? I've has amaryllis plants for years and have never seen this before. - Deb

Adams County Colorado flowers: annuals and herbaceous perennials

Hi Deb, Amaryllis can be propagated by separating the small bulbs that form at the base of the larger bulbs. They can also be grown from seed. Take some of the pollen (the yellow dust at the tips of the curved stamens) and place it at the tip of the pistil (the single, longer, straighter flower part that is beneath the stamens.) As the flower fades, the pod at the base of the flower will swell. When it turns yellow and begins to break open, collect the seeds (they look like dry, flattened raisins) and sow them in vermiculite or a seed-starting mixture. When they sprout they will look like grass. In a few weeks bulbs will begin to form. Transplant the seedlings to larger pots and keep them growing in a sunny location. Do not let them go dormant. In four or five years the bulbs will be big enough to bloom.