Do I need to do something?

My employer provides health care options that I select from now, so does the ACA directly affect me? Will the ACA lower my rates or give me a tax credit for what I have already chosen and pay for?

Arapahoe County Colorado taxes health insurance affordable care act open enrollment marketplace

Thanks for your question – it is one that many people likely are asking themselves. First, on the tax credit question – tax credits are NOT available to someone enrolled in employer based insurance. See this not-yet-state-specific brochure that describes the tax credit and how it works for people who are purchasing their own insurance in the Marketplace http://consumersunion.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/SAMPLE_2014_v2.pdf. The ACA may make your employer-based insurance premium go down as things play out (depending on changes on the provider side that are intended to improve quality of care, efficiency and costs of all insurance premiums).

Other ways that the ACA may affect you relate to consumer protections included in the law that influence the qualities of all insurance policies, including those obtained through an employer. For example:
Preventive services in all insurance plans will be provided free of charge. Adult children can remain on a family insurance plan until age 26. Beginning January 1, 2014, you are guaranteed insurance, even if you leave this job, even if you have a pre-existing condition. You are guaranteed issuance of insurance with another employer who offers it to you or by purchasing coverage yourself through the Marketplace. Beginning Jan 1, 2014 there are no lifetime limits on coverage. You are no longer at risk of reaching a lifetime limit and therefore being “dropped” from an insurance plan. I hope this helps. The short answer is that you do not need to do anything other than, as you always have, continue to make your employer based plan selections according to your healthcare needs and cost considerations. Since you live in Colorado and may wish to learn more, here are a few links to explore the Colorado-specific situation. Keep in mind that these websites are responding to ongoing adjustments in the ACA rollout, may not be fully functional yet, and will certainly change over time: Colorado Health Benefits Marketplace www.connectforhealthco.com Some details of the Colorado “Exchange” (now known as the Marketplace) http://www.coloradohealthinsuranceexchange.us/changes-for-colorado/ Healthcare.gov has links to all states in various topic areas http://www.healthcare.gov/

Hi, there... can you help us to know how we did with answering your health insurance question by responding to the two questions below?

1) Did you find that the answer and additional resources mentioned in the answer provided knowledge that you did not have before?

2) Did you find that the answer and resources made you feel more confident about making a good health insurance related choice?