getting rid of an invasive plant

My son has a plant in his yard that is taking over their flowerbeds. The roots are similar to lilly-of-the-valley, but the leaves are heart-shaped with a red or pink tinge to them. He has tried weed killer to no avail. Is digging them up the only remedy? It's a large area and the soil is full of clay. Their home is in Amherst, Ohio

Lorain County Ohio

Without a picture, this sounds like Red Dead Nettle (Lamium purpureum) which is popular this year. I know this personally since it has invaded every part of my yard and gardens. I've used a commercial herbicide to knock it back and in most cases kill it. It has been three weeks for the affects to show, but it is dying. In the garden or areas that I could not use herbicide, I've simply dug it up. We are still experiencing cool weather so the use of herbicides will take a little longer because the plant will take longer to absorb the chemical. A good way to tell if this is the weed your son has is by the stem. It is square, as it is part of the mint family. I've also included a picture.

Thanks for submitting your question to "Ask an Expert!"

Tom