Emerald Ash Borer

Help! I have nearly 20 ash trees of varying sizes in my backyard. One is now completely dead, two are in "critical condition". I feel I'm am pretty well read on the ash borer crisis and believe that if untreated, all my ash trees will likely be dead inside of the next 4-5 years. I have been talking to tree specialists regarding removal, treatment options, etc. Since I'm not made of money, I'm trying to weigh my options very carefully. Does the State of PA offer any resources or assistance to homeowners regarding the ash borer? I know that Bayer has recently introduced at "at-home" ash borer treatment, is it worth looking into? Can ash trees die at any point in the growing season, or likely over winter? Is it safe to keep any wood and burn it in my home fireplace?

Washington County Pennsylvania integrated pest management ipm plant pest emerald ash borer

Hi,

First, I want to make absolutely sure that what you are dealing with is Emerald Ash borer. Has anyone identified them yet? Are there characteristic signs of the borers? Tree work is never inexpensive, it is true. I am not aware of any assistance the state is providing for homeowners. The systemic insecticides used to protect ash trees have shown to be pretty effective against EAB (nothing is guaranteed, of course). But it would be something that you would need to apply probably a couple of times per year, every year.

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/trees-shrubs/emerald-ash-borer/factsheets/EAB2940.pdf/view
This fact sheet may answer some questions you have about what you might do with the wood from dead trees.

I hope this information helps1
Sincerely
Lee Stivers