introduce Diglyphus parasite larva (wasp)

Should I introduce Diglyphus parasite larva (wasps) in my garden to control leaf miner on chard, beets and spinage? I live in Forest Grove, Oregon. leaf minor pretty much destroys all my green leaf vegies.

Washington County Oregon

Hello and thanks for your question. Introducing parasitic wasps may help control leafminer on your vegetables. If you introduce the wasps, be sure not to use other pesticides, as they may kill the wasps as well as the leaf minors. Another helpful strategy is to use a row cover throughout the growing season. A row cover is cloth like material, often white and quite transparent that will exclude insects but let light through. You can anchor the cloth at the edges or let it "float" so it rises as the plants grow. The following link is to the Oregon State University recommendations for controlling leafminers. http://pnwhandbooks.org/insect/vegetable/vegetable-pests/hosts-and-pests/chard-swiss-leafminer I hope you find this helpful. Let us know if you have other questions. Linda