Mountain Hemlock Needle Drop

I have a 15-ft Mountain Hemlock in my yard bed. It has an odd shaped trunk, very unique. I just discovered that it is dropping green needles. Do you have a suggested regimen for determining the cause, i.e., disease, pests, etc?

Marion County Oregon

My first suggestion is that you to call the Master Gardener help desk to get them working on the diagnosis - 503-373-3770 or marionmg@oregonstate.edu
This kind of investigation requires a fair amount of Q&A. You could also take some digital photographs of the tree and affected parts - close up and farther away - and email them to me and the MG's if possible. Is this the first time you have seen this?

Hi Glenn, Thank you for your help! I have attached a couple photos. Tree appeared healthy until few days ago and now has lost most needles. I sprayed with a 3 in 1 spray yesterday.

That is quite a lot of needle drop all at once. It is common for trees with afflications to suddenly drop their needles with first warm weather in spring. Since this is a mountain hemlock in a home landscape at lower elevation, tree health issues are likely some years due to maladaptation to the lowland climate. To continue your investigation, please call the Master Gardener help desk to get them working on the diagnosis - 503-373-3770 or marionmg@oregonstate.edu