Better Food Choices for 22 year old with Aspergers

My name is Frank and I work for Michigan State University Extension, in the Health and Nutrition Institute. I was approached by a client inquiring about nutrition recommendations for their son who has Aspergers. What resouces would you recommend that I provide to this client? Where could I refer this client to ensure their questions are best answered?

Thank you for you attention to this matter.

Frank

Macomb County Michigan

Hi Frank, I currently work at a camp in the summer for children on the spectrum and have sent out some feelers to my directors. Will try to have an answer for u soon. MG Shannon

Hello Shannon,

Thank you so much for looking into this. I will also ask my colleague at the Macomb Infant Preschool Program (MIPP) to see if they know of any nutrition information for young adults with Aspergers Syndrome.

In my short time at MSUE I have quickly realized that I am limited to the delivery of basic health and nutrition information, which is why I greatly appreciate any and all resouces that you can provide. I will keep a look out for your response as well. Thank you Shannon.

Frank

Hi Frank, I did some researching on your question. In the past it was always had believed a Casein protein free and Gluten Free Diet was in order for children on the Spectrum. A new study released by Dr. Susan Hyman a professor at The University in Rochester NY Medical center states it is untrue. Though these can be healthy diets for anyone and also will improve stomach problems, there is not one certain diet for children with Aspergers. For more information, you can google "Food to help Autism" or google her study. Thanks for your patience. Hope this is helpful. Shannon R.

Thank you Shannon for your time and the resources. I will read Dr Hyman's study and google "Food to help Autism." I also took note of Dawn's comment below.

Your suggestions and feedback will help my client greatly. Thank you both for your assistance. Have a great day Shannon.

Frank