Flowers on my persimmon tree

We live in Salem, and planted a persimmon two years ago. It had lots of flowers and fruits the year we planted it, however last year and I'm afraid this year, we haven't seen a single flower yet. Do persimmonss flower before the leaves come out, or after? The rest of the other kinds of fruit trees in the back year, appear to have lots of flowers this year (last year there were many less). The leaves on the persimmon are a rather light green, making me wonder if it has enough nutrients, but we do fertilize and it has lots of leaves. When we bought it from the nursery, they said, this tree is virtually disease free, it grows wonderfully in this climate. Do you have any suggestions on what we can do to get some more flowers? Carolina

Multnomah County Oregon fruits and vegetables horticulture

Hello and thanks for your questsion. Is the persimmon an American variety or oriental? There may be a difference depending on which kind you purchased. Much of the information I have seen indicates that it takes 5-7 years for a persimmon to begin producing. The flowers of the oriental type open about two weeks after the leaves emerge. Since cross pollination is sometimes required, there might not be a suitable pollinator nearby as well. I have referenced a fact sheet from another state with a little more information. http://www.caes.uga.edu/Publications/pubDetail.cfm?pk_id=6383 I note from reading this that the recommendation is to fertilize in early spring and midsummer with 10-10-10 fertilizer applied at the rate of 2 oz. for each year the tree is old. I hope this helps. If you give me more informtion n the variety, I may be able to provide additional information. Linda