Pruning hybrid poplars

I have some hybrid poplars on my property that have sent out "suckers." Can these suckers be pruned like the parent tree? And will they grow into a separate tree, or am I better off cutting them off now. Also, is it necessary to paint where I've pruned to prevent "bleeding'?

Laramie County Wyoming pruning

The best thing you can do for your poplar trees is to cut off to the ground or to the trunk any and all suckers and do not paint them, let them air dry. The best time to prune is before the tree leaves out or after the leaves fall off, however; with suckers they can come off anytime of the year.

Thank you, Catherine. Do I need to paint the pruned area on the "parent" tree after pruning? If I prune some errant branches after the tree has leafed out, should I paint the pruned area then?

"Do I need to paint the pruned area on the "parent" tree after pruning? If I prune some errant branches after the tree has leafed out, should I paint the pruned area then?" No, just let everything air dry, "painting" is not necessary.