post oak bores

I have a big post oak in my yard, approximately 2' in diameter, and the bark just above the ground to just above waist height was loose and seperated from the tree. A section of the bark easily fell off and there were lots of bore holes in the tree. It appears most of the bark all the way around the tree will soon fall off. The tree is leafing out and still appears ok above but don't expect it to last with this continued infestation.

Obviously I would like to save the tree but need to know what to treat it with and wondered if wrapping after treatment would help?

Thanks in advance for your help,

mike

Callahan County Texas

Thank you for your question and my apologies for the extremely long delay in response. There was a glitch in the system which automatically assigns questions.

Please contact the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service office in Callahan County directly at (325) 854-5835