Suggested Ground Covers for unused land

I have a lot in Bandon that was covered in gorse. I would like to plant a ground cover to choke the gorse out. But I don't want to bring in another noxious weed into the neighborhood. What should I plant? Suggestions that are eco friendly.

Coos County Oregon weed issues horticulture

Hi:

I think there may be a couple of sources of more information. You can call the Coos Soil and Water Conservation District: 371 N. Adams Street, Coquille, OR 97423, 541-396-6879. You can also try the Coos County Weed District, link to them is: http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/PLANT/WEEDS/pages/coos.aspx

My 2 cents worth is that since Gorse is such a large plant, you would require a very, very tall, dense groundcover to have any chance of smothering it's growth. It tends to overwhelm native vegetation by it's size, which is why it is such a problem. A native solution would be ideal, but I suspect what is going to be required is replanting with a palette of native flora, then removing gorse promptly as it grows back from seeds (which it will).