lawn

Hello: I live in the Poconos and for the past 20 or so years struggle to maintain a lawn (not me my husband) We have sandy soil in back and in front. We recently saw clover lawns and thought that may be a solution for us. Less maintenance, natural, etc. We are now seniors so we would enjoy low maintenance. We live in a somewhat shady area and partially sun. Thanks for any time. PS White Dutch clover and we do not use any pesticides whatsoever. Patricia Francis

Monroe County Pennsylvania lawns and turf horticulture

Hello, and thanks for using the ask an expert system.
White clover may be a solution to your lawn maintenance problems. Clover lawns usually grow 2 to 8 inches tall without mowing. They are perennials, but will produce seed that continues to reseed the lawn.
Clover can be mixed with traditional grasses, and a mixed grass/clover lawn will handle foot traffic better than a pure clover lawn. If you purchase inoculated seed the clover will produce nitrogen fertilizer, and drastically reduce the need to fertilize the lawn. Clover will tolerate some shade, and is somewhat drought tolerant.
When in flower, clover lawns will attract bees and other pollinating insects. You should consider that if you are allergic to bee stings.
If you decide yo go with a clover lawn be sure to buy the seed from a reputable deeler and follow planting directions carefully.