limestone vs sandstone for paddock/sacrifice area

I am planning to refresh my sacrifice area.
1. There is a sandstone quarry about 5 miles from my house and a limestone quarry about 20 miles away. I expect the delivery cost would be much cheaper from the closer quarry. Most articles mention limestone. Is sandstone acceptable also?
2. Where do you recommend that I purchase road-grade Geo-textile fabric?
3. If Geo fabric was put in under the initial layer of rock about 6 years ago, do you think I need another layer now?

Dauphin County Pennsylvania

Answer to #1., Use the product that is most cost effective. But if you have a horse that eat dirt go with the limestone.

There are many products on the market that are designed to help reduce mud and stabilize an area. The most readily available products in Pennsylvania are gravel, sand, and woodchips (hogfuel). If planning to use sand, do not feed livestock on it, this can cause serious digestive problems for the livestock.
Gravel – Gravel (crushed rock) no larger than 5/8” is readily available in Pennsylvania as a footing. This type of footing is especially useful in high traffic areas – gates, watering, feeding areas. The benefits of gravel are that it will not break down and it drains well. The down side is that gravel can be expensive, but you probably will not have to repeat the application in a few years. Ideally a two layer footing system works best when working with gravel. It consists of a coarse aggregate base and a finer cover layer. Neither of these materials work well alone. Coarse aggregate does not compact easily; many voids may result leaving the surface uneven and difficult for livestock to walk on. The finer material compacts easily but will move under heavy traffic. When the two materials are used together, the fine material fills in the voids left by the coarse material. The result is a durable, all-weather surface that is acceptable for animals. Sand – Sand is another useful alternative when trying to eliminate mud. The principals of using sand are similar to those of gravel. If you use sand, do not feed livestock from it. Sand particles can be ingested and cause serious digestive problems for horses. Woodchips (Hogfuel) - Woodchips or Hogfuel are a good alternative to using gravel. This material is a byproduct of the logging industry. The material is coarse bark and woodchips that are produced when a tree goes through a machine called the hogger. This material can provide a good surface and through the natural process decomposition.

#2., Here are some manufactures or suppliers:
Frank Roberts and Sons, Punxsutawney, Pa phone 814-938-5000

Geotex Eathstopping Solutions, SI Geosulutions, Chattanooga, TN phone 423-899-0444 www.fixsoil.com

LINQ industrrial Fabrics, Inc phone 1-800-543-9966

Answer #3., If the horses did not dig it up and it is still in place that should last a lifetime.