I would like to know if it is okay to pressure can, for example, 3 jars of...

I would like to know if it is okay to pressure can, for example, 3 jars of asparagus in the same batch with 4 jars of green beans. Any 2 vegetables really, provided the required canning time is the same obviously. Thank you! My thinking is if I only have small quantities and don't want to run the pressure canner 2 times for just 3 or 4 jars each load. Also, if I do not have a full load should I place empty jars in the canner so the filled ones don't fall over? Thank you so much!.

Carroll County Maryland food safety home food preservation

Creative idea but there are few vegetables that have the same processing times plus when we factor in whether it is a hot or cold pack and pint vs quart size the possibility of having an exact match is very limited. And having an exact match on time, type of pack and size of jar is an absolute requirement. A more food-safe choice would be use the small amounts to make jars of mixed vegetables. Empty jars are not needed to prevent full jars from tipping - the full jars should be stable on their own.

Thank you!