New Soil for my Vegetable Garden

I am building a raised vegetable garden. Where should I get my topsoil? How much do I need? my bed is 8x8x1. I have heard of buying combined Peat moss, vermiculite and compost. My local recycling center sells compost by the 40lb bag. How much will I need? I have found a lot of info on the internet but I was hoping someone could condense the answer/information to my specific situation. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Charleston County South Carolina

A lot of questions. Where to start? Well lets see lets start with how much.
8x8=64 and with the bed being 1 foot deep you will need 64 cubic feet. If you were to decide to purchase in bulk there are 27 cubic feet in 1 cubic yard. 64/27= 2.4 cubic yards. Most places that sell in bulk will sell in cubic yards. Without seeing the size of the 40lb bag I would say each bag is going to be about 1 cubic foot. You could measure a bag and figure out the volume. Length x width x depth = volume.

I would recommend filling it with either straight compost or a mix of compost and topsoil. A nice screened compost provides a good growing environments with lots of nutrients. I would stay away from peat moss as it will acidify your soil as it breaks down.

As for the where to get the product, I live in NC and don't know who sells landscape supplies in your area. I would recommend looking for a landscape supply company and asking if they could deliver you a load.

Good luck with the garden. I hope everything you plant does extremely well.