Yellow Jackets, flies and mosquitos

I am planning an outdoor wedding at 6pm Sept 1st 2013. There will be food(meat&fruit), I can cover the food and garbage cans but how do I keep these pests from swarming around people and food? Thank you! Susan

Multnomah County Oregon insect issues insects urban integrated pest management

The best way to reduce the number of foraging yellowjacket wasps is to eliminate nearby nests with poison bait. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/yellowjacket_bait.html (this is my personal site) for a discussion of this method. You should deploy the bait about a week before the event. The wasp traps that use a scented lure can be used as well but are not nearly as effective. For flies be certain that any nearby garbage cans (dumpsters) are moved and/or treated before the event. You might also deploy baited fly traps a few days before the event (contact a farm supply store for these). Mosquitoes should only be a problem if you are near water such as a lake. In this case you might have some mosquito repellent containing picaridin available for guests that are being bothered. Picaridin-based repellents have less odor than those based on DEET.