Surprise to me as i never grew brussels before. My brussels planted last year...

Surprise to me as i never grew brussels before. My brussels planted last year survived 2 snows and within the last 3 weeks went frim 8 inches high to 4 feet. They now look like this pic and i wonder what happened. So i cut off a few of the bottom leaves thinking a brussel sprout might start on the stalk but no such luck. I looked on the web for pruning and majority of websites said don't. I bought new starters hoping to know how or if to assist them to produce. Or, at the least, to know when they wont. Sincerely, Ramona Bennett ramonaleez53@yahoo.com Grants Pass Oregon

Josephine County Oregon fruits and vegetables gardening

Brussels sprouts is an annual biennial vegetable usually grown as an annual. Yours has lived through its first year and now in its second (biennial) year, it is flowering and going to seed - a process usually referred to as bolting in brussel sprouts and similar plants. It looks as if sprouts did form in the leaf axils but are now flowering.

In the Rogue Valley, brussels sprouts are usually grown as either a early season crop or a late fall/winter crop. You can plant your new starts soon (I usually wait until after May 1) and you should be able to harvest before it gets too hot for them. For a late fall crop, plant starts mid-August to mid-September and you should have a late fall harvest.