tomato container size & material

How deep & wide should a container be for a cherry tomato & an heirloom tomato plant? Should I use wood, terra cotta or plastic or does it matter

Mesa County Colorado

Your container should be at least a foot across and a foot wide, though there is no problem going a bit larger. There are advantages and disadvantages to each type. Plastic retains water better and holds up longer, but if it's black (like most nursery pots) it can get pretty hot. Here, we grow them in all three types and don't see any problems as long as you can keep them evenly moist. The smaller or shallower the pot, the quicker it will dry out - so you'll need to keep an eye on things. When tomatoes are allowed to dry out, they are more likely to get blossom end rot.

I've seen coconut mats to line pots in the garden centers. Would those be helpful or just use good potting soil?

Those liners work well for hanging baskets - otherwise, they aren't needed. I like to use small squares of cloth screen to cover the drainage holes, and then use good potting soil.