First-Year Dairy Goat Project

Asked March 29, 2013, 10:03 AM EDT

For a first-year dairy goat project, does the young goat need to be male or female? We heard female, but I need to verify, and soon.

I also need to know if we can show our new male kid that was born on Thursday, March 21. I heard today that to be shown, kids have to have been born on or between April 1 and May 31.

Medina County Ohio 4-h osue 4-h

I will assume you are a Medina County, Ohio, 4-H member. If this is your first year in project 135D, you are allowed to take a kid born between January 1 and May 31. For fair entry, you may exhibit one or two animals. If you exhibit two animals, the animals must be entered in different classes. Your animal born on March 21 would be a senior kid, born between 1/1/13 and 3/31/13. A junior kid would be a project animal born between 4/1/13 and 5/31/13.

We had heard that the first goat project had to be junior kid rather than senior kid. Are you saying that a senior kid could be the first goat project? That would be great. But we decided not to show goats this year and have fencing issues and no time or money to fix the situation, so we decided to find homes for our goats. We don't have pasture shelters either, and I don't think the goats are happy in the barn all the time. We also have to sell a house and have too much going on. I will pass this information on to a friend who plans on showing goats.

The kid can be a doe or a wether.