Chickens in West Texas

I am looking to establish a small flock of chickens on my homestead. I am near San Angelo, Texas, and the ground gets dry and hot. I would like to know what chickens you would recommend that can handle the heat of West Texas summers. Temperament is an issue because I have smaller children that I want to include in the work.

Tom Green County Texas

The chicken's predecessors are the jungle fowl from Southeast Asia, where it's also pretty hot. I would think that you'd be fine with any of the egg-laying breeds, but you may want to stay away from the heavier meat-type birds, as they don't do as well in the heat. That being said, layers are usually pretty flighty, but that can be a good thing as maybe they'll be more predator tolerant. You'll want to have some kind of shelter to allow the birds to get out of the sun and to protect them from predators at night.