adding dirt to perennial garden

I have a perennial "garden" area that is up against a retaining wall of railroad ties. It seems with all the flooding we've had,(i live at Lake Delhi) some of the soil has either been washed away or maybe "seeped" out from below.Can I just had soil on top of everything and expect that the hostas, ect will grow out above it? or do I need to dig all of it up add the soil and then replant :( ???

Delaware County Iowa

The crowns of perennials should be located at or slightly below the soil surface. (The crown of a perennial is a highly compressed stem at the base of a perennial where the shoots and roots join.) If 2 or more inches of soil need to be added to the planting area, the existing perennials will need to be dug up. Covering perennials with 2 or more inches of soil may kill them. The perennials can be placed in pots or set aside in a shaded sheltered location after the perennials are dug up. Add the necessary amount of soil, work the new soil into the existing soil, and then replant the perennials.