Fodder Feed

Asked March 24, 2013, 11:45 AM EDT

Do you have information on fodder feed?

Pike County Ohio rabbit nutrition rabbits small animals fodder

Fodder can mean many things, but I usually refer to fodder as corn residue after the grain has been removed. The Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle, 1984, lists fodder or stalkage or stover as having 55% total digestible nutrients, 6.3% crude protein, and 31% fiber. It is not very good quality. Soybean straw could also be considered a fodder, and it has much less quality—42% total digestible nutrients, 5.2% crude protein, and 33.1% fiber. If you are referring to something else, we need more information about the livestock being fed. I recommend that you check with the local Extension educator or one or our specialists at OSU for more information. Fodder can be fed for part of a diet for some livestock, but care needs to be taken. If it is for cattle, Dr. Steve Boyles is a great resource. His number is 614-292-7669. You can also contact me at 740-962-4854, or at penrose.1@osu.edu.

This is fodder you grow in seven days from seed with only water. It will be fed to rabbits.

Fodder feed is growing in popularity, especially in Australia.

I imagine you know this since you are asking, but in case you are unaware:
feeding sprouts to rabbits offers very dramatic advantages. These include the following:

• Faster weight gain
  • Higher fertility
  • Faster weaning
  • Reduced scours when weaning
A rabbit farmer in Australia was paying $760 for three weeks worth of feed for 50 does and 60 to 70 young ones. With fodder, he spends $760 every three weeks; however, he is feeding 90 does and around 250 young ones. The does have never been so fertile. Litter averages are up to 10 to 12, with some litters as high as 15 rabbits!

So yes, it is a good source of rabbit feed. What I cannot help you with is a local source of seeds and the best growing methods for you.

I recommend that you call Jeff Fisher at 740-289-4837 and ask him about where to find seeds and how best to grow fodder. Tell Jeff that Penne Smith suggested you call him about barley fodder.

Good Luck,
Penne Smith
Extension Educator
Assistant Professor