Hi, I have a question concerning food products [canned, boxed and other] that...

Hi, I have a question concerning food products [canned, boxed and other] that were in a moving van for several weeks while waiting for my home to be readied for the move-in. As it was in Michigan and it was December to February I'm sure it was frozen and thawed maybe a few times. No cans seem to be swollen and glass wasn't broken I am wondering about safety. Is it safe to consume? Things like instant potatoes, boxed dinners type stuff, canned vegetables, spaghetti sauces, condiments, etc. I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks, Mike

Van Wert County Ohio

Mike,

Your boxed dinners(dry foods) and condiments in plastic containers should be fine. I would be concerned with the safety of canned foods (in metal or glass containers) with respect to the security of the seals. If they maintained a vacuum you will be fine, but they may have seal breakage due to the freezing/thawing process.