Vegetable Gardening around Bend

Asked March 21, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

Hello from Fairbanks, Alaska: I hope to retire in about ten years and am looking for areas I might like to retire to. I would like to move to an area where it is easy to grow your own vegetables. I've been looking at the Bend area. What are growing conditions like there? Is there adequate rainfall? Is the soil fertile?

Deschutes County Oregon

Hi, The Bend area is a part of the High Desert on the eastern side of the Cascade Mountain Range. The growing season is approximately 90-100 days and the precipitation rate during the growing season is 4-6" so supplimental water is required.
Here is a link to a publication that may be useful for you:
http://extension.oregonstate.edu/deschutes/sites/default/files/co_climate12.pdf

One of the bigger challenges is the difference between day and evening temperatures during the growing season. The drop at night, slows or stops plant growth. There is not a true frost date here as there are only a handful of days in July and August that we cannot potentially get frost. So there are challenges but lots of successful gardeners that use season extension, etc. Feel free to call with more questions. Thanks