Hawthorn Hedge or Trees In Pasture

Asked March 7, 2013, 9:02 PM EST

I have sectioned off my horse pasture into different padocks. In this rural area there are many plants that I am trying to eliminate from the pasture areas. I am in Oregon, near Portland. The plant that is causing the most problem is Hawthorn. These are small brushy plants that grow like a hedge would. They have large sharp thorns that are dangerous for the horses as they graze. Some are waist high others are small and close to the ground. How can I kill them? I have heard that just cutting them off is not enough. Is there a product I can paint on the stems or small stumps that will kill the root system? I cannot put my horses on this until I resolve the problem. Thank you so much for your help.

Clackamas County Oregon

I would recommend cut stump treatments with a product such as Garlon 3 or Crossbow. Both of these products contain triclopyr which is a very effective herbicide on brush species. Both products are available at many local farm stores. Follow the label instructions for the cut surface/stump treatments.