Identify weed and make spraying recommendation for cenipede

Asked March 5, 2013, 8:59 AM EST

Please take a look this weed that is growing in my centipede grass and give me a recommendation of what I can spray to kill it while the centipede is still dormant, if possible. The lawn is approx. 2 years old and I established it from seed. Thanks, Alex

Orangeburg County South Carolina lawns and turf weed issues

Hi Alex,

I apologize for the delay in sending you an answer to your inquiry. It appears that the weed you submitted for identification is Floriday Betony. You will find Clemson's HGIC fact sheet on Floriday Betony helpful: http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/weeds/hgic2313.html. The fact sheet contains control recommendations. When using pesticides (a herbicide in this case) remember to read the entire label, understand the label instructions, and follow all label instructions. Contact your local Clemson Extension Office in Orangeburg for more information: 1550 Henley Street, Suite 200 Orangeburg, SC 29115 and 803-534-6280.