Potting a Meyer Lemon Tree

Asked March 3, 2013, 10:42 AM EST

I anxiously await the delivery of a 2-yr old dwarf "Improved Meyer Lemon" tree. I will be planting the tree in a pot (16" diameter plastic with several drainage holes, as sold in garden centers for small trees). Could you give me information about the type of potting soil to use, more specific than: "sandy slightly acid, all-purpose mix, which you can get by using a peat-moss based growing mix" or "a lightweight soil mix". Should I simply use an all-purpose mix or blend my own using ??????. Would also appreciate any tips to assure my lemon tree thrives as this is my first time growing a tree in a container. We live in Bridge, east of Myrtle Point. I plan to situate the tree on a sheltered patio with SW exposure, bringing it onto a W facing covered porch for protection when nights cool and into a potting shed (heat available) with S facing window during freezing weather. I considered bringing the plant in the house during the coldest months (we have large windows, facing west in our dining room, but no direct light), but also have wood heat, which I fear would not be good for the tree? BTW: There is a Meyer Lemon planted in the ground and thriving just east of Bridge (Remote). Is it possible to keep it outside year-round if it is sheltered and covered during freezing weather? Since it is a dwarf variety, I would still keep it in a pot so it could be moved, as needed. Thank you for your help. Susan A. Huff

Coos County Oregon

A 20 inch pot would be better, less transplanting as it grows.
Use an all purpose, lots of organic matter mix.
Bridge will be bit colder than Myrtle Point.
Your plan to keep the plant warm is good. Try very hard to keep the plant above 35 degrees.
In doors, with wood the key is keeping the plant from temps below 35 degrees, so with wood heat, keep the pot soil moist, not wet.
For outside, again, the lemon needs to e protected from temps below 35 degrees.
Keeping in a pot makes it easy to move.
Maybe get a grafting of the other lemon tree which has become more resistant to the Bridge weather.

Y