When to remove mulch

Asked March 2, 2013, 5:29 PM EST

Hello -
I put a mulch of leaves on my bulb garden last fall and am wondering when I should remove it this spring, as it has been such a horribly dry winter. I already have some growth in one of my south-facing beds...but it's only March! A second question: when should mulch normally be removed?
I so much appreciate your help.

Jefferson County Colorado

You don't usually need to remove mulch placed over perennial plants. Keep it over the bulbs. It will help keep the soil cooler, slowing down the spring growth of bulbs.
In our climate mulch is so helpful in keeping the soil cooler and moister than it would be if bare soil was exposed. If your leaf mulch is deeper than 4-6", however, I would remove the amount necessary to attain the 4-6 inch depth.
Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you for your response. I am still confused. Do I then leave my mulch over my bulbs even as they grow and bloom over the spring and summer?

Yes, leave the mulch in place. The stems of the bulbs will push through the mulch.

Thank you!