I am tasked with maintaining Baseball fields. What herbicide would you...

I am tasked with maintaining Baseball fields. What herbicide would you recommend for pre-emergent control of grass on the dirt infields? My concerns are possible contact for the players and post application migration.

Wayne County Ohio weed issues

I do not recommend a herbicide for use on the dirt infield. The principle of pre-emergent control is that the chemical is watered down into the soil where it forms a barrier to germinating plants for a limited period of time while the grass sod above thickens and forms a dense cover that inhibits weed seedling germination after the chemical barrier has broken down. In a dirt infield situation, the periodic raking and conditioning of the dirt infield should control weed seedlings at or just after germination. In addition, many times the compacted nature of a dirt infield is not conducive to weed seed germination and/or survival. Included here is a link to an OSU Extension fact sheet on maintaining sports fields and athletic turf:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/srt-fact/0002.html.
Sincerely,
Rory