Eastern Redbud

I live on the coast (Newport) can the Eastern Redbud tree grow here given the right location and care? thank you

Lincoln County Oregon

Cercis canadensis Fabaceae (legume)
Eastern Redbud SER-sis kan-a-DEN-sis

• Deciduous tree, 20-30 ft (6-9 m), spreading, ascending branches, flattish top. Leaves alternate, simple, 7.5-13 cm across, heart-shaped (cordate), margin entire, conspicuous swelling just below blade, lustrous dark green color; fall color is usually mixture of pale green and yellow, although occasionally bright yellow to even golden. Small (13 mm) rosy-pink flowers in spring before leaves appear, some produced on older limbs. There is also a white flowered form, var. alba; Fruit is a flat pod, 5-7.5 cm long, about 1.25 cm wide, green, finally brownish black, fruit set may be heavy and fruit persist through winter.
  • Sun to part shade. Does well in many soil types, except permanently wet, adaptable to acid and alkaline.
  • Hardy to USDA Zone (3) 4, some variation. Native range from New Jersey to Florida, west to Missouri and northern Mexico.
  • Cercis: refers to a weaver's shuttle (Greek kerkis), apparently alluding to shape of the fruit. canadensis: of Canada (Actually its native range probably included only the most southerly part of Ontario, however it has become naturalized in a wider region.)
  • Oregon State Univ. campus: southeast of Ag. and Life Sciences, near east door. This tree was covered with "frozen fog"on December 15, 2005.
Given the research I have done online, OSU has some, as does a few places in Portland. They do not like wet feet/soil and will decline in these conditions. Here in Newport I would recommend sun, and placed in a protected spot away from our Southern winter winds and our summer Northern winds and of course, it will not like salt spray. Other than that, they have very pretty flowers, fall color, few pests. I would give it a try.
Liz Olsen Lincoln County Extension

Thank you your help is greatly appreciated. Steve

One additional comment: the Eastern Redbud seems a better choice than the Western Redbud which may want warmer, drier climes than can be offered in a coastal climate.
My understanding too is that Eastern Redbud can be a slow grower. Try to keep its feet on the drier side.