Edible landscape ground cover?

Hi, can you think of an edible ground cover that would work on the median trip in the front yard between the side walk and the street? This would be in full sun, I could add amendments if needed, watering would be one time per week in the summer, and the area would be isolated enough to not be a problem if is something that spreads easily. Edible fruit or leaves are OK. One item coming to mind would be low laying rosemary. Any other ideas?

Multnomah County Oregon

Thank you for your question to Ask the Expert.

Is your parking strip on a busy road? If not, then it is fairly common for people to grow regular garden vegetables. I would shy away from leafy greens due to potential for dogs to deficate/urinate there. The prostrate rosemary would work well, but you will likely use very little of it for cooking. Also, if you think that it will get stepped on, it will not tolerate traffic. Or, it might be a good place for several rabbit eye blueberries or native edibles such as low-growing salal.

In essence, there are many choices if you excercise caution in terms of potential pollution from vehicles or food borne diseases from dogs and cats.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Weston