Daffodils

Hi, I live in Denver. Last fall I planted quite a few daffodil bulbs and I am beginning to see the green leaf tips poking up. Many of the tips are brown, although the majority of the leaves are green and none look too poorly. I have checked the soil moisture and it is fine but most of the bulbs are against a south facing wall and it is much warmer there than surrounding areas. Are the brown tips indicative of a problem? Is there anything I can or should do? Thanks so much!

Denver County Colorado

Daffodils are one of the earliest to bloom spring flowers. Their bulbs are not as truly dormant as a tulip, therefore, they often begin to sprout in the mid to late winter with warm soils. And we certainly have had a warm winter on the Colorado Front Range. If you want to slow them down a bit, put a thin layer of composted bark mulch over the soil around the bulbs. And continue adding moisture when the soil dries out.

The brown tips are indicative to me that the warm dry winds are causing some tip burn. I would not stress too much about that at this point. The recent snows will help slow things down a bit and provide some protection from the wind.