what is the normal range for vernilization of fall grain

Asked February 18, 2013, 10:50 AM EST

I just planted charles fall barley and malcolm fall wheat feb 14th Is that too late for the grain to vernilize..i didnt plant a lot 10 acres..this is just a experiment..your thoughts..i looked online and cant find much on the subject

Washington County Oregon

I do not have specific vernalization time requirements for either Malcolm winter wheat or Charles winter barley. However, for Malcolm, because of its close genetic relationship to stephens, it should have a fairly low vernalization period. OSU typicaly recommends Feb 15 as the cut-off for planting winter wheat and I usually like to see folks switch to a spring wheat around early Feb to maximize yields but in this case, I think you will be OK with Malcolm because it likely has a low vernalization requirement.

In terms of Charles, I checked with OSU Barley breeder Pat Hayes and he thinks Charles should do fine with your planting date.

If we have a "normal" spring (rather than a wet one like we've had the past few years) they could both probably stand a shot of water if things dry out early. Charles is weak strawed so has some lodging risk if you go down that route.

I hope this is helpful. Feel free to call me with any other questions.

Thanks,

Nicole
503-553-9922 (cell)