I recently moved here from Tulsa, Oklahoma and was wondering if Brown Turkey...

I recently moved here from Tulsa, Oklahoma and was wondering if Brown Turkey Fig trees can be grown here successfully and if so, what is the best way to grow them with success? I am missing my beautiful fig trees that I left behind and would love to start one here.

Washington County Ohio fig trees horticulture

Welcome to Ohio! The Brown Turkey is the hardiest of the figs so it would be your best choice for growing here in Ohio. Normally pollination occurs by a tiny wasp that enters through an opening at the bottom but the wasp isn’t found in Ohio, so no seeds are produced. The brown turkey fig grows best in a location sheltered from winter winds. In the fall, heavily mulch the tree and cut it back. The fig will die back to the ground, like a perennial, and grow back in late spring. Water newly planted figs until they become established, then water them only in times of drought. Wet roots will cause the fruit to split.

Thank you for using Ask The Expert let us know if we can help further.