Red Rodan Cabbage

Asked February 14, 2013, 3:10 AM EST

How can I get a hold of some seed for this outstanding variety. It seems to have gone the way of the homing pigeon! I planted some 1999 seed of this variety in 2010 to overwinter. It started to bolt in the spring so I forgot about it, thinking I'd just use it for seed. However, when I went to that garden several weeks later, it was setting heads 3 ft in the air! We proceeded to harvest and eat cabbage off this planting for the next year--including small cabbages growing like brussel sprouts on the stem. We ate our last "fresh" cabbage from storage in December 2012. But I have no seed to replant! Didn't know it would be so hard to find! Please help!

Island County Washington fruits and vegetables horticulture

We have been having a hard time finding experts in Washington. I would say call your local nursery and see if they can get some in for you.

I have been looking online and locally and cannot find it. Thought the experts might know--maybe a seed repository?

That is not a bad idea. I would think your local county extension office would have a lead. WSU is your land grand university so someone in Pullman might know as well.