Selling moss and lichen from my farm

Asked February 13, 2013, 11:16 AM EST

Where do I look for regulations/rules about selling and shipping moss and lichen I collect on my property? It might be purchased as a supply in crafting, art, or terrariums. It could be live, or preserved, or dried: I am researching each option. It isn't really a food or nursery or public forest product. Or is it? (There could be disease or insects, I suppose.) What category does it fall under for regulations, and is it Oregon or Federal?

Washington County Oregon

Thank you for your question to Ask the Expert.

The moss that you want to sell will most likely be considered a nursery crop and you will want to make sure that your operation is in compliance with the Oregon Department of Agriculture licensing requirements. You can find out more here:http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/plant/nursery/pages/index.aspx
I would call and try to talk to an ODA representative to see what will be requrired.

Good luck!

Weston