portable humidifiers

Asked February 10, 2013, 10:15 AM EST

Hello, I have two small Guardian Technologies ultrasonic humidifiers. I am following directions for maintenance and cleaning but there is a red film developing on some of the parts in the base of the unit in the water. Perhaps you could hazard a guess as to what this is and whether it is harmful. I have called the company and they have told me that I don't need to worry as long as I'm following instructions. I live in Farmington Hills and have Detroit city water. I thank you for any info you can give.

Oakland County Michigan public water systems

Thank you for your question for eXtension. The topic area in which you've made a request is not yet fully staffed by eXtension experts and therefore we cannot provide you with a timely answer. Instead, if you live in the United States, please consider contacting the Cooperative Extension office closest to you. Simply go to http://www.extension.org, drop in your zip code and choose the office that is most convenient for you. We apologize that we can't help you right now, but please come back to eXtension to check in as we grow and add experts.