Holly Type Shrub and Moss Like Parasite

Asked February 9, 2013, 11:14 AM EST

Hi,I moved to Oregon from the deep south a few years ago, and I don't know how to take care of a NW lawn yet. We live near the McKenzie River in a wooded area. We have some pretty sculpted shrubs (some type of holly bush - has berries) in our backyard, but moss is growing inside on some of the stems and causing holes in the bushes. Now, in February, there is some type of mossy growth in the bush near where the holes are forming, and it is spreading. I don't know what to do to take care of the shrub. Hopefully the attached photos will help you understand what I'm trying to say. They were taken early in the morning (pre sunshine) so I apologize for the darkness of the photos. Thank you very much for any advice! Melanie Redd, Springfield, Oregon

Lane County Oregon

This is a type of spanish moss; light green and stringy.
Solutions - 1 - the more sun light the better.
2 - Spray with a good copper spray, organic or conventional copper and this will control the moss. It may take a couple sprays.

3 - Then prune the holly bush so it is more open to let the sun in.