Planting Deep-rooted Daikon Radish seed in TX?

Any experiments on planting this seed in TX. I am in Fayette county. Looking for any information. I plan to seed on 5 acres to improve my soil. This is only for soil improvement & capture some minerals from the deep tap root. Then let the radish decompose & get some bacteria growing.

Fayette County Texas fruits and vegetables horticulture

This question was asigned to me over the weekend, and we are sorry for how long it has taken to respond. The question you asked was out of my expertise, and I have been in contact with an agronomist and we are hoping to provide you an answer within the next day or two.

Below is an answer from Willie Durham-USDA - NRCS State Conservation Agronomist. He was the main speaker at a recent soil health workshop we held in La Grange. If you have further questions I would strongly recommend you contact him directly, he has a wealth of knowledge on this subject matter!
" Yes, you can grow radish in Texas. The true radish or forage radish does not exist in the wild and has only been known as a cultivated species since ancient times. There are many cultivars that have been developed for high biomass or high oilseed yield and these are useful for cover crop purposes. Typically, we look at using oilseed or forage radish in combination with other covers during the Fall and early Winter. I am familiar with certain varieties that have been bred for this specific purpose (Tillage Radish and Nitro-Radish). They grow rapidly during the Fall and have the potential to capture large amounts of nitrogen from deep in the soil profile. We not only get benefits of breaking up compaction, but these species help with disease, nematodes and weeds. I have attached a picture of “Tillage Radish” that was grown in my garden this past fall, in combination with other cover crop species to enhance biological activity in the soil. This radish is affected by freezing temperatures, 25 degrees – hard frost. Also attached is a handout that speaks of planting mixes of cover and would be happy to discuss the use of multi-species cover crops to improve Soil Health. Feel free to call me concerning the use of mixed cover. I have much more material and will send you some in another email. William H. Durham CPAg
State Conservation Agronomist
USDA - NRCS
101 South Main
Temple, TX 76501
254.742.9885
cell: 254.231.1258
Fax: 254.742.9889 Email: william.durham@tx.usda.gov