worm farming

Asked January 29, 2013, 8:53 AM EST

do I need to be certified organic for worm farming?

Barron County Wisconsin vermiculture worms

Hello, and thanks for contacting eOrganic with your question.

In order to be sure to answer your question accurately, I'd like to get a little more information from you in terms of what you are really asking. Is it your intention to produce worm castings in order to sell them to organic farms? If this is the case, your operation does not have to be certified organic. In fact, the NOP (National Organic Program) does not encompass certification of inputs; rather, the NOP specifies materials that are allowed or prohibited from use as an input on organic farms.

Many manufacturers of inputs (fertilizers, soil amendments, composts, worm castings, etc.) who wish to market their products to certified organic farms use the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI). OMRI is a 3rd party reviewer that evaluates inputs for compliance with the NOP. It is not necessary to get your product reviewed by OMRI in order to market to certified operations; however, the certified growers that would buy your product have to have some assurances that your product is an acceptable input per NOP guidelines.

www.omri.org

I hope this helps. If this doesn't answer your question, please respond with additional information and we'll see if we can assist further.