Harry & David Fruit Tree Pruning Method

Hi, A couple of years ago, I attended a fruit tree class at the OSU Extension office (in Central Point or in Grants Pass) or at a spring fair put on by the Master Gardeners of Jackson County (at RCC Medford) or Josephine County (at RCC Grants Pass). It was taught by an employee of Harry & David who discussed that company's pruning technique of a central leader with rings of horizontal branches, each ring separated by a foot or so. I would like to get some literature on the technique. Do you know where I can procure such information? Thanks, Bob

Josephine County Oregon pruning fruit trees horticulture

Bob,

The form of training they use is called "central leader training" as you remarked. If you query central leader training you will find a lot of information. OSU does have a publication called "Training and Pruning Your Home Orchard". The number is PNW 400 and the author is Jeff Olsen. The pub has drawings and descriptions to help you understand the process of training.