Native ground cover

I have a new home sited on an acre, near riparian area, at the 1,600 ft. level on Mt. Hood and would like to restore the native meadow that once resided here. Currently the ground is frozen and muddy. Is there a ground cover, like clover, that I could seed to help establish the meadow? Or is there meadow seed for this elevation?

Clackamas County Oregon sustainable gardening and landscaping groundcovers horticulture

Thank you for your question to Ask the Expert.

For re-vegetating a meadow in a riparian area, there are both grasses and other plants that you could use to restore the native ground cover and minimize erosion. It really depends on what has historically grown there on the site and what you would like it to look like in the future. Clover is not a good plant to use in this situation and seeds in general will be much harder to get establish than transplanted plants.

You might contact Clackamas County Soil and Water Conservation District for your project. They can perform site visits, help you to develop a conservation plan, and even have cost-match programs to help with funding. You can find more information here: http://conservationdistrict.org/resources/stream

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Weston