Inspecting older pressure cookers

Asked January 17, 2013, 5:45 PM EST

I have my mother-in-law's pressure cooker. She used it for canning for many years. It has not been
used in 25 years. I want to start canning, and I read that it would be a good idea to have it inspected before it is used, especially if it has not been used for many years. The article also suggested that the extension service could provide the inspection. If that is correct, where can I bring the cooker for an inspection and how long would it take?

Denver County Colorado food processing home food preservation

2 Responses

The Denver County Extension Office's website is: Their phone number is (720) 913-5270.

Judy Kovach of Tennessee says: I would say based on my experience, you will need a new gasket, and guage. If the canner hasn't been used in 25 years, it may also be warped and my not be safe to use. A new one may cost from $60.00 to $160.00, don't invest until you go to a food preservation class. See what is involved and if you can devote the time. I use to can and freeze, but now I mostly dry food in a dehydrator (Not the pioneer way). Try you local Family and Consumer Sciences Agent. Good look!