Calf Vaccinations

Asked January 14, 2013, 1:06 AM EST

We just bought 6 Deacon Calves. We bought them at Gaylord Livestock Auction last week. My question is what is the best vaccination program for them? When can and should they have what? I want to give them the best care possible. Right now they're taking medicated milk replacer and nibbling on a little bit of 18% calf starter. Also plenty of fresh water. Any help you can give would be appreciated!

Benzie County Michigan dairy health dairy herd health

No one vaccination program fits every farm. What we recommend from Extension is getting with a local veterinarian to develop this program. It is important to develop a good relationship with a local veterinarian, and many of the antibiotics that you may need to use also require that the producer have a valid "Veterinary/Client Relationship". If you wish to talk further about this, please call me at 231-533-8818, or email me directly at moorest@msu.edu.