apples (mega)

Can you tell me what apple variety grows large enough to weigh in excess of one and one half pounds or more? This past season, I picked some from a tree that was hanging over the fence. Made really good apple sauce and eating. The one I missed in Oct.,I picked in November and it weighed 1.5#

Multnomah County Oregon fruits and vegetables apples horticulture

Fruit size (weight) is somewhat controlled by genetics, and therefore, is a varietal trait. There are, however, many environmental and horticultural factors that affect actual fruit size. So, fruit size alone is a very poor indicator of identity, especially for a very late picked fruit.

Other characterisitic such as size, shape, and color can be helpful, but even these are highly variable, especially for unmanaged trees, so determining the identity of unknown trees is rarely successful unless you have some idea of what the possibilities are. Furthermore, many volunteer trees are seedlings rather than named varieties.