Ok to plant in winter?

I have a few plants that I want to put in the ground-I bought them this fall and wasn't able to plant them because of construction on our home. Is it ok to plant now, in January? Should I wait until spring or next fall?

Multnomah County Oregon

Thank you for asking about when to plant. Though some plants in some situations can be planted in the winter, there are too many caveats to list here. It is much better, generally, to wait for spring. Care for the plants until the weather is warmer and the soil isn't saturated. I assume these are in pots. Protect from deep freezes and most of the rain...along the house in a protected space usually works. If you have very small pots, or bare-rooted woody plants, let me know, as they may need special care for the winter.
Here is an excellent article about this topic: "Gift plant care through the winter", published by Oregon State University Extension http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/gift-plant-care-through-winter