Hydraulic fracturing, regulation of the oil and gas industry; Actual water, land and air testing.

I am a native of Battle Creek Michigan, where, as a young child, I watched our drinking water as it was being contaminated. I was told then, as I am again being told now, don’t worry so much. It’s insignificant and won’t hurt the environment. After decades have passed, I still, will not, drink any of Battle Creeks water. I don’t care who tells me its safe to drink.

Fracking; it’s the same thing all over again.
I’m now grown up and I know better.
How can I find out exactly how many gas and oil wells are in operation right now in the state of Michigan?
How many are using the Hydraulic Fracturing Process?
Were environmental studies done at all of the well sits prior, during and after the wells were drilled?
How often will testing be done after the wells were drilled and for how long.
Has drinking water been tested before, during and after the wells were drilled and up to how fare away from the drill sites location has drinking water been tested.
I understand that there is contamination of drinking water in the state of New York, due to fracking.
I have done some scientific work during my career.
I would like to take a personal look at the data and procedures used and the credentials of the people that have done and are doing the studies.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Don Bradstreet

Oil and Gas Educational Meeting—Allegan Date: January 9, 2013
Time: 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Location: 3255 122nd Ave., Allegan, MI 49010
Contact: Allegan Extension, 269-673-0370, Allegan County Farm Bureau, 269-355-1500

This educational program’s goal is to help landowners better understand oil, gas, and mineral leasing agreements, pitfalls and concerns in contracts, horizontal drilling, hydraulic fracturing and the regulation of the oil and gas industry.

Michigan

I believe the following resources will answer your questions: I am attaching two files: STATE OF MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY SUPERVISOR OF WELLS INSTRUCTION 1·2011 HIGH VOLUME HYDRAULIC FRACTURING WELL COMPLETIONS and QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT HYDRUAULIC FRACTURING.

This is the Department of Environmental Quality link to their hydraulic fracturing information page. You will see there are many resources available. http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,4561,7-135-3311_4111_4231-262172--,00.html
According to the DEQ, hydraulic fracturing has been used in MI for over 50 years and on over 12,000 wells with no contamination to groundwater found. If you need additional information, feel free to call me.

Curtis Talley Jr.
MSU Extension
231-873-6841