I have a very old apple tree thats ready to pass on and I'd like to save it....

I have a very old apple tree thats ready to pass on and I'd like to save it. I'd like to try and graft it to rootstock. Where do I get the rootstock? I live in Highland County. Thanks for your time.

Ohio

Hi There, This is a good question! You may need to call a mail order nursery to see if they will sell you a rootstock plant. I would recommend dwarf or semi-dwarf rootstock. Bud 9 is the preferred dwarf rootstock. The only problem is that they may not sell any since the general public does not how to graft an apple tree. Another option is to purchase a young dwarf apple tree. You can graft a few buds or stems from your existing tree to that new tree. Here is a link on how to graft apple trees: http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/dg0532.html For more information, you might want to purchase a copy of OSU Extension bulletin #940, "Midwest Home Fruit Production Guide," and #780, "Controlling Diseases and Insects in Home Fruits Plantings." Hope this helps. Good luck!