Tomato Soup

Hi, I was wondering if there is a safe recipe for making home canned tomato soup? I cannot find anything in my canning books. It seems like you should be able to at least make a base that you can add milk to when you warm it up.

Clackamas County Oregon food safety home food preservation

There is an actual recipe in the latest edition of the Ball Blue Book on page 65. It makes a good base and then when you open it, make a rue with butter, flour and milk and slowly add the soup base and it makes a great soup. This is however a pressure canned version.

I have also taken the tomato vegetable juice recipes in the OSU PNW 300 publication on canning tomatoes. In this recipe you add 3 cups of chopped vegetables such as onions, celery, garlic and carrots to 22 pounds of tomatoes. Cooked the mixture until tender, and puree. Then continue cooking it until it thickens into a sauce. I can mine in pints. Be sure to add 1 T bottled lemon juice per pint and process in a boiling water canner for 35 minutes or add 2 T lemon juice per quart and process for 40 minutes. This added to a rue of butter, flour and milk is excellent. Be careful to slowly add the tomatoes to the rue so the soup does not curdle. You can season it to taste after you make the soup.l (I like to add a little basil, powdered garlic, salt and little sugar to taste.
Good luck and thanks for using Ask and Expert

Nellie Oehler